Friday, March 30, 2012

Database Project: Filemaker Pro (Clear)

I have to say I was a little afraid of this project, but after going through professor Olson's steps, it was a lot easier to understand.  I liked the hands-on approach from using Filemaker Pro and appreciated its simplicity after obtaining further knowledge through more usage.  I have heard that Filemaker is not as helpful or user friendly as Access, but I didn't see the huge issue in its services.

I liked how you could categorize all the people by their county in which they lived.  This was a lot more professional looking and I thought it was helpful in organizing all that data.  The find options were a little strange and I wish those would be more easy to work with.  The sort button has to be the best thing about Filemaker Pro.  You can analyze a lot of data by the simple click of the mouse.  Picking the way you want to organize it was also a really helpful factor.

Before I took ISM 3004, I had no idea that database software like this was even used or existed before.  I have heard of Access (but didn't know anything about it), but since becoming a proud macbook user last year, I knew I had to adapt to using a program I was unfamiliar with.  But that is indeed the reason we as students take courses like this.  I look forward to more hands on projects, considering I struggled with Excel as much as I did.  Being able to manage your employees, salaries, even the dates a customer quits using your facility, is really important information to know as a hopeful future business person.

After completing the scavenger hunt, I viewed this video.  It helped me get a quick understanding of how to operate through Filemaker Pro more effectively, and perhaps it can help you guys use this software more effectively in the future as well.

Thanks for reading everyone.  Have a great weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment