Sunday, February 19, 2012

Software (clear): Blog 6

I have to say that Software programmers have to be some of the most underrated people in the world...well the ones that are extremely successful (Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerburg) really make up for it.  I couldn't believe how much effort and code needs to be organized in order to perform at a quick and successful rate.

One part of this week's lectures that I really enjoyed was the part where professor Olson spoke about the "layer cake".  I thought it was cool how the four parts, consisting of user, application, operating software, and hardware worked together on an independent level to be a well-oiled machine.  It was also amazing to look into how software reacts effectively with computers and how interfaces are becoming more similar in order to keep up with competition.

One of the things I love about Apple products, are their simplicity.  I grew up, like a majority of others probably taking this class, on a window's interface.  In the old days of "macintosh" I couldn't understand how people could actually enjoy that style of computer software.  Windows was quicker, sexier and to some extent, better.  Now, Apple is way ahead of its game.  They have a lot more efficiency and are a lot easier to use.  I really enjoy that Apple and Windows are on the same playing field, and this does a lot for competition.  The better the competition, the more expansive and creative your company and brand becomes.  Having a computer that is comfortable to your lifestyle, will not only make you work better, but it improves your way of life.  When I first got my Macbook Pro, I fell in love with how simple it was to organize my files, and how much "easier" college became.  I took notes at a more effective rate, organized my contacts and schedules, and have a vaster amount of storage data than I ever had on a Windows platform.  But we're getting of topic.  :)

One of the most fascinating aspects of the new age of software is how global it is becoming.  Having various programmers work on software like Facebook, Twitter and even Foursquare is beyond me.  How do people learn to become so expansive and creative in giving people in today's society, what they want and somehow, need?

It seems that these software programmers are constantly pushing the envelope, and I found it really funny how in this weeks lessons, we go straight into various types of licensing.  But in this video, are programmers who wish to work for Facebook, being ethical and "respectful" to fellow programmers?  Every year, the company hosts "Hackathons" where various programmers compete and build unique forms of codes to produce a different style of program or "computer art" to prove themselves to the company in hopes for a job.  How is what they are doing ethical and how can we as americans still be following the law, in order to achieve the next technological advance?  I guess that is something that we will just leave to the politicians.  Let me know what you think?  Do you think the greats of the past 20 years would have been more expansive if they pushed the envelope illegally?


No comments:

Post a Comment